The eKey is your gateway to a whole range of eServices offered by the Bahraini government.
Whether it is for commercial registration (CR) or to access dozens of other services offered on Sijilat and other government portals, having your eKey handy will make life much easier and more efficient for you.
For those with no prior exposure to eKeys, this article will provide you with a quick glimpse into everything you need to know about eKeys in Bahrain.
What is an eKey?
Simply put, the eKey is a single sign-on authentication system that enables you to access a range of eServices without requiring to enter your personal credentials more than once for each service and/or transaction.
This is a huge advantage if you want an easy transition between multiple services in a single transaction.
Introduced for the first time in 2007, the eKey is an initiative by the Information & eGovernment Authority, which guarantees the utmost security and privacy for all your personal data.
Two types of eKeys
Bahrain currently offers two kinds of eKeys — Standard and Advanced. Each comes with its unique benefits and use-cases.
With the Standard eKey, you just have to enter your personal number and password once while accessing various eServices offered by the government.
You can easily create your Standard eKey online and it will be available for use within the metaphorical blink of an eye. There’s a catch, though.
Because the Standard eKey doesn’t involve a rigorous verification of your credentials and excludes key biometric data such as fingerprints, it has fewer features as compared to the Advanced eKey.
You can only access a limited number of eServices using the Standard eKey.
How to apply
- Go to the official eKey portal, which is www.ekey.bh
- Click on “Create my eKey.”
- On the next page, click on “Register Now for a Standard eKey”
- Next, you need to submit your personal number, date of birth, block number, and the smart card expiry date. In case you’re not sure about your block number, just visit the Bahraini Municipal Map for confirmation
- Once you submit these details, an authentication code will be sent to the mobile number.
- Call the National Contact Center at 80008001 or visit the nearest service center for verification.
- Once verified, you can log in to your eKey account and start using it.
The registration process for the Advanced eKey is slightly more complex and requires you to apply in-person. This is only to ensure the highest level of security as the Advanced eKey can be used to access all eServices including highly confidential ones.
How to apply
You have to produce your smart card and biometrics at the time of registration. For this, you need to visit your nearest eGovernment eService Center. The process usually doesn’t take more than 10 minutes.
The information you’ll require providing include:
- Your smart card
- Personal information such as name, date of birth, and such.
- A valid mobile number.
- Your fingerprints.